Thursday, January 13, 2022

Perilous People

To me, “evil” is unjust and avoidable suffering and its causes.  Evil now taints many honest, responsible, generous, loyal, talented, creative, helpful, intelligent people, including those to whom I am deeply indebted for years of tranquility and joy.  To be specific, evil taints all Republicans since the party morphed from conservative to deceptive, seditious and racist -- since it ceased respecting truth and loving justice.  The gifted people of whom I speak are now endangering democracy and peace.  Not one Republican has apologized for the Jan-6 attempt to end America's experiment with democracy.  Judging from their media appetites, they are hostile to evidence and reason.  They'd rather follow a messiah than analyze socio-ethical dynamics.  Some fear economic repercussions of intellectual independence.  The compassionate people who volunteer to help victims of storms, fires, earthquakes and famines are the same people who now threaten democracy.

The places where I felt meaningful and experienced joy during the past quarter century were Woodmont Christian Church and Bellevue Christian Church.  There I was inspired to care about and help the disadvantaged, I gladly volunteered time and resources to upkeep of the church buildings, and I was welcome to exercise my love of music, for example: orchestrations, bands, and singalongs.

But now I’m afraid to expose my thoughts in those places for fear of driving congregants away and for fear of demoralizing the old and sick who deserve to feel worthy as they face their dooms after lives of faith and decency.

No comments: