Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Country Pathos , Country Soul


Country parables         David M Regen © 1995

Old-time country music, it stirs my heart and soul
It draws me in its circle, my name is on its roll
Its prophets are compelling, its parables profound
So won't you come and join me, in this church of rustic sound

Luke the drifter talked to us, of things we need to know
Think my friend consider well, before a stone you throw
Watch your tongue lift up your thoughts, and gossip don't repeat
For you may be indebted to, the bad girl down the street

Acuff told a story, of one who had succumbed
Life for her was bitter, and from the bridge she jumped
They pulled her from the river, but no one knew her name
This woman had no loved ones, her body was unclaimed

I won't forget Red Foley, my heart-strings he did tug
He told us of the love that is, between a boy and dog
Shep pulled him from the swimming hole, where he had nearly drowned
When Shep was old it broke his heart, to put his dear friend down

These words of Eddie Arnold, I heard them long ago
Do not neglect your mother, the one who loves you so
She nurtured you and guided you, so do not leave her there
All alone an angel in an, old rocking chair

And give my love to Dolly, the brightest of the lot
Her mother made a coat of rags, when she was just a tot
The children all made fun of her, they did not understand
That love went into every stitch, by her dear mother's hand

Yes country can enlighten, wake up your sleeping soul
Turn you from your selfish ways, make kindness  your goal
This world would be a better place, a kinder place I know
With more old-time country music, on the radio


Click here for a page-ordered list of titles with YouTube links.


Indexed Titles               Page

Bereavement of parent
Dear brother  26
Every bush and tree  34
I miss Mother since she's gone  58
If I could hear my mother pray again      59
Letter edged in black  68
Lightening Express  69
Mother queen of my heart  82
Memories of Mother  83
Mother’s Bible  84
Mother's only sleeping  85
Newmade grave upon the green hillside          90
Summer wind         133
Sweeter than the flower         134
Unfinished rug         148
Vision of Mother 151
White dove 158
Will the circle be unbroken 161
Bereavement of child
At the first fall of snow     5
Don't make me go to bed    28
I hear a sweet voice calling        56
Searching for a soldier’s grave    122
Strand of a yellow curl  132
Teardrops falling in the snow      137
The vacant chair  150
Bereavement of contemporary
Bathe me in lilac       7
Bluebird sings for me      15
The day they laid Mary away          25
Dear Uncle Sam      27
Flower blooming in the wildwood          39
Footprints in the snow      40
I haven’t seen Mary for years      55
In the baggage coach ahead      62
Listen to the mockingbird      70
Lonely mound of clay       71
Maple on the hill       74
Mighty dark to travel       78
Old Shep       97
On the evening train       99
Precious jewel      107
Roses in the snow      116
Silent empty chair      125
Weathered gray stone      154
Will the roses bloom where she lies slpn       162
You’ll find her name written there      166
Calamity
Amelia Earhart’s last flight           2
BJ the DJ   6
The blizzard  12
Daddy don’t go to the mine  23
Drowned in the deep blue sea  30
Engine 143   33
Five miles from home   38
Muddy water    87
Sign on the highway  124
Sinking of the Titanic  127
Train 1262  145
Wreck of old 97 164
Wreck on the highway 165
Cruelty / Neglect
Coat of many colors    19
Give me the roses    44
If Jack were only here    60
No children allowed    92
Nobody’s child    94
Orphan girl 101
Over the hill to the poorhouse 102
Rocking alone 115
Row us over the tide 119
Ruby don’t take your love to town 120
Thirty pieces of silver 141
Tramp on the street 146
Unloved and unclaimed 149
Walking my Lord up Calvary hill  152
Down & Out / Adversity
Hard times come again no more    47
Hard times have been here    48
Lost highway    73
Men with broken hearts    77
More to be pitied    81
Muddy water    87
Pictures from life's other side 105
Ruby don’t take your love to town 120
Dying
Bathe me in lilac      7
Beyond the sunset      9
Cowboy's lament    22
Darling little Joe    24
The dying soldier    31
Farside banks of Jordan    36
Green green grass of home    46
Just before the battle mother    64
Master's bouquet    76
My brother’s will    88
Nobody's darling but mine    95
Plant some flowers by my graveside 106
Put my little shoes away  110
Road trip 113
Rosewood casket 117
Soldier’s last letter 130
When God comes to gather his jewels 155
When I ride that last mile 156
Who will sing for me 159
Will my soul pass through the southland  160
Will you miss me 163
Loneliness
All smiles tonight       1
Blue eyes crying in the rain      13
Calling my children home      18
Golden ring      45
He stopped loving her today      49
Lonesome river      72
Missing in action         79
Rocking alone    115
Ruby don’t take your love to town    120
So lonesome I could cry    129
Tiny broken heart    142
Too late to cry     143
Tragic romance     144
Wandering boy     153
Nobility / Redemption / Innocence
Amen corner          3
Angels rejoiced          4
Be careful of stones you throw  8
Big bad John         10
The blind girl’s prayer         11
Coat of many colors 19
Darling little Joe 24
Eastbound train         32
Fallen leaves         35
The funeral 41
Give me the roses 44
Hickory holler’s tramp 51
His fields are ready for harvest 53
I heard my mother call my name in prayer 57
If Jack were only here 60
In the baggage coach ahead 62
Jimmy Brown  63
Legend of the robin’s red breast  67
Lightening express  69
Missing in action  79
Mother queen of my heart  82

No comments: